Sep , 3
This blog is in relation to the process from start to finish regarding your new extension or new build.
- INTRO – A good relationship and good understanding with the client is what gives the best result. Having this helps push the design in the right direction early on. From early on in the design development it is important to focus on establishing a clear, vibrant and precise concept.
- MEET – It should start with a meeting to talk through ideas and requirements and what the end goal is. Usually the first meeting is free of charge. This benefits the architect/designer as well as the client as visiting the site will help more than you can imagine. Whatever questions the client may have, feel free to ask, whether it be regarding the design, planning or any stage of the process. Once the visit has taken place and the requirements are understood then, proposals would be created along with a fee for the work.
- CONCEPT – A measured survey is the first thing to be done. If a topographical survey is needed then this also. This allows the architect/designer to understand the full site and the existing plan. A feasibility study would be undertaken which would involve zoning in on the potential design ideas which would work under permitted development where planning permission is not required or what would. Once this has been discussed amongst the architectural team the design options would then be discussed with the client.
- SCHEME – Once the client has chosen the preferred proposal then it would progress to creating proposed architectural drawings and if requested a 3D computer model. The model allows clients to really visualise how the final design will be. Any planning applications whether they are for a certificate of lawfulness or a full application these will be submitted to the local planning authority.
- DRAWINGS – Once the planning permission has been accepted it will progress to the next stage. Construction drawings will be created. These are known as building regulation drawings and structural drawings. Other construction drawings such as electrics can be created by the clients request.
- BUILDER – To commence the work a builder will need to be selected. Usually the architectural practice will offer to work with the client at this stage. A selection of local appropriate builders will be shown and the ones selected will be offered to tender the job. Once all received they will be evaluated and one will be chosen.
- CONSTRUCTION – Once the contractor has been selected and all the contracts have been signed the exciting part begins! Architectural practices such as SJR Architecture in Preston will work alongside the builder throughout the construction process. Regular meetings will be needed with the client and the builder to ensure the build runs effortlessly.